MADRE is seeking a Program Manager to help implement a strategy to address gender-based human rights violations at the local, national, regional and international levels with Francophone regional partners. The Program Manager will execute the work of MADRE’s programs in countries such as the Democratic Republic of Congo and Haiti in collaboration with all advocacy team members and with oversight by the Human Rights Advocacy Director.
- Engage relevant national, regional and international stakeholders, including special mechanisms and UN agencies as well as state missions, to support women’s rights globally;
- Monitoring and documenting human rights practices by conducting fact-finding missions and collecting and analyzing information from a wide variety of sources including governments, local media, NGOs, government officials, and others in the field;
- Writing and publicizing reports, briefing papers, letters, news releases, op-eds, and submissions to international bodies based on research findings;
- Developing and implementing local, regional, and international strategies to change oppressive laws, policies, and practices;
- Presenting human rights concerns to grassroots activists, UN agencies, government officials, inter-governmental agencies, the media, and other key actors;
- Work in partnership with other international NGOs, UN agencies and grassroots groups in developing and implementing a human rights advocacy plan to equip local activists and first responders to prevent, document, and demand accountability for gender-based crimes;
- Lead the planning and implementing of human rights advocacy trainings and other convenings in New York and in-country, including travel and meeting logistics and preparation of training materials;
- Manage budgets, submit receipts, track expenditures, draft budgetary reports and grant reports, and compile information for periodic programmatic reports to funders;
- Supervise interns and project consultants;
- Other duties as required.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English and French;
- Substantial experience in international human rights advocacy;
- Ability to identify, prioritize, research, analyze and effectively communicate important human rights developments on women’s rights issues;
- Ability and sensitivity to conduct interviews with a wide range of people, including victims, witnesses, and government officials;
- Ability to develop and implement realistic and effective local and international advocacy strategies that identify and respond to advocacy opportunities;
- Knowledge of and experience working in the United Nations political context;
- Knowledge of and experience leading and producing credible human rights documentation;
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally;
- Demonstrated commitment to women’s human rights and MADRE’s mission;
- Excellent research and writing capabilities;
- Advanced (graduate or law) degree in relevant field;
- Minimum of 5 years relevant professional experience.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include “Program Manager, Francophone Region” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. People of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people, and people of diverse cultural backgrounds and differently abled people are encouraged to apply.