We’ve made it through the first 100 days of the Trump administration. It was a period marked by chaos and continued assaults on our rights and freedoms, in the US and around the world.
But at the same time, there’s been hope. Our progressive movements have grown in strength and in numbers, mobilizing a powerful resistance to policies fueled by hate and fear. It’s on us all to sustain this momentum – through the next 100 days and beyond.
We're sharing resources on the threats we face, the policies we demand, and how we can resist together. Click here to learn more.
The Trump administration is a threat to the rights of LGBTIQ persons in the US and around the world. Here are some early indications:
- Trump reversed an Obama era policy that protects transgender students from discrimination in federally-funded schools.
- Shortly after taking office, the Trump team removed nearly all LGBTIQ content from the State Department website, sending a message that this administration will not support global LGBTIQ rights. This jeopardizes the safety of LGBTIQ individuals around the world who are targeted with deadly violence and discrimination.
- At particular risk from Trump’s policies, like his xenophobic travel ban, are those who suffer from double discrimination, including LGBTIQ people. Because of their sexual orientation and gender identity, they may be targeted with discrimination and death threats and forced to flee to save their lives. And the actions of the Trump administration have only made it harder for them to find safety.
- At this year’s UN Commission on the Status of Women, an annual women’s rights conference, the Trump administration selected a known anti-LGBTIQ hate group to represent the US.
- For years, Vice President Pence promoted anti-LGBTIQ legislation. He even advocated for conversion therapy, the dangerous and discredited practice aimed to “fix” homosexuality.
Our Feminist Foreign Policy Demands
We call on the US to:
- Reject all associations with homophobic and transphobic groups, and preserve and expand protections for LGBTIQ people’s rights.
- Recognize the dangers faced by LGBTIQ people worldwide, and repeal racist and discriminatory immigration policies that block their access to refuge.
Our Resistance with Women Worldwide – And You
We support rights activists creating safe spaces in dangerous places for LGBTIQ people threatened with violence.
- Through our local partners, we create safe spaces for LGBTIQ people in Haiti and help them to organize for their rights. We document human rights violations against LGBTIQ people and train our partners to press their governments to uphold human rights for LGBTIQ people.
- We amplify progressive Iraqi voices through our local partner’s radio station and newspaper to end the stigma against LGBTIQ Iraqis.
- We operate an underground railroad in ISIS controlled areas, a network of escape routes that usher LGBTIQ people to safety.
Join us as we advance these demands and our on-the-ground resistance!