Reporting to the Director of Policy and Strategic Engagement, the Policy and Campaigns Manager is responsible for devising and anchoring MADRE’s progressive and feminist policy campaigns; for conducting and writing about policy research; for outreach to advance MADRE’s program areas, policy positions, and strategies; for building relationships with key policymaking, movement allies and media; and for implementing campaigns that mobilize audiences to take action. This position manages MADRE’s Feminist Policy Jumpstart, an initiative to bring global women’s voices and solutions to progressive policymaking in the US.
A successful candidate will have strong research, writing, and project management skills; experience with campaign coordination and media outreach; and knowledge of global, progressive, feminist policy issues.
Primary roles and responsibilities include:
- Carrying out policy research -- with a focus on US foreign policy, social justice, and international women’s human rights -- and helping to develop MADRE’s policy positions
- Creating and providing strategic direction for policy campaigns, and establishing and monitoring progress on campaign objectives
- Building and coordinating relationships with allied organizations and MADRE partners for shared policy campaigns and movement building, and representing MADRE in meetings and coalitions
- Developing and strengthening relationships with policy stakeholders, including Congressional offices and government agency staff, to coordinate campaigns, briefings, meetings, and educational engagements with and for policy allies
- Organizing events, briefings, and other public actions in coordination with allied organizations, coalitions, policy stakeholders, and MADRE partners
- Writing materials to articulate and promote MADRE’s priority policy positions and issue areas (including on ending gender violence, advancing climate justice, and building a just peace), for audiences with differing levels of expertise
- Anchoring MADRE’s policy-related media strategy, to build relationships with media allies, pitch stories that promote our work, provide commentary, and coordinate media campaigns to uplift our messaging and policy demands
- Assisting with the creation of core communications messaging on MADRE's projects and initiatives
- Supporting creation and implementation of online action campaigns for website, publications, campaigns, and events
- Creating, updating, and implementing outreach plans to engage target audiences in coordinated action (including through media, website and social media outreach)
- Reporting internally and building staff knowledge on policy priorities and progress made Evaluating and documenting progress through qualitative and quantitative means, in order to advance our learning and evaluation capacity
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant policy, campaigning, and/or organizing experience
- Strong research, policy analysis, writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Strong project management and organizational skills; ability to manage many distinct areas of work at once
- Experience coordinated shared campaigns among allied organizations Ability to message complex issues creatively and clearly
- Experience with media outreach and online campaigning tools
- Commitment to feminism and progressive social change, and knowledge of the focus areas and regions in which MADRE works
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure with competing priorities and deadlines
- Desired skills: Spanish, Arabic, and/or French fluency
MADRE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. People of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex people, people with disabilities, and people of diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion.
This position can be performed remotely, with a preference for candidates local to New York City and with occasional travel to Washington, DC.
The salary range for this position begins at $64,000/year.
Application Instructions: Please email your resume, cover letter, and 1-2 writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the job title in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.