Join MADRE and our partners at these upcoming events!
We are gathering at the annual United Nations women’s rights meeting with strong women leaders from around the world. Together, we’ll share experiences, ideas, success stories and challenges.
We hope you can join us!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP, with the title of the event you would like to attend.
Indigenous Women Transforming Power
Monday, March 12th
10:30am – 12:00pm
4 West 43rd Street, Aqua Room
Indigenous women are valuable changemakers in their communities. They organize to boost rural women’s capacity to vote, run for and win public office, and mobilize to demand their voices be heard in policymaking. Hear firsthand from Indigenous women leaders about their path to empowerment.
Moderator: Yifat Susskind, MADRE Executive Director
- Rose Cunningham, Executive Director of Wangki Tangni - Nicaragua
- Lucy Mulenkei, Executive Director of the Indigenous Information Network - Kenya
- Yasso Bhattachan, Vice Chair of the National Indigenous Women's Forum - Nepal
- Aminatou Samira, Indigenous youth activist - Cameroon
Sponsors: MADRE and Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung-NYC
Shifting the Power: A Global Conversation on Funding for a Feminist Future
Thursday, March 15th
9:30am - 11:00am
Instituto Cervantes | 211 East 49th Street, New York, NY
Hear MADRE Executive Director Yifat Susskind in conversation with Nobel Peace Laureate Leymah Gbowee and Executive Director of the NoVo Foundation Pamela Shifman about recent trends and challenges in funding for women's organizations and movements. And learn about exciting new work being launched to advance a more progressive feminist funding agenda around the world.
- Leymah Gbowee, Nobel peace laureate (Liberia, 2012) and founder, Gbowee Peace Foundation Africa-USA
- Pamela Shifman of the NoVo Foundation
- Yifat Susskind, MADRE Executive Director
Sponsors: Nobel Women’s Initiative and the MATCH International Women’s Fund, in collaboration with the Global Affairs Canada
Defending the Right to Life: Killing Women and LGBTIQ Persons during Conflict
High Level Panel, Co-Sponsored by the Government of Finland
Monday, March 19th
11:30 am - 12:45 pm*
UN Headquarters, CR-A
*Please RSVP to receive a UN pass and arrive by 11:00 am to gain entrance for this event
In Iraq, women, girls and LGBTIQ people have been targeted with violence on a staggering scale. MADRE and our partners have documented these crimes to lay the groundwork for future justice processes. Join us to learn more about how we can prevent this violence, in Iraq and beyond.
- Agnès Callamard, Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions
- Amir Ashour, Founder IraQueer, Iraq’s first LGBT+ organization
- Charo Mina-Rojas, National Coordinator of Advocacy and Outreach, Proceso de Comunidades Negras, Colombia
- Lisa Davis, CUNY Law Professor and Co-Director of the Human Rights and Gender Justice (HRGJ) Clinic, and Senior Legal Advisor for MADRE
Sponsors: MADRE, Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Sorensen Center for International Peace and Justice