That's why MADRE is launching an initiative to bring global women’s voices and solutions to progressive policymaking in the US.
We want US policymakers to champion gender justice and human rights in foreign affairs. We want to build avenues for activists and organizations, locally and globally, to engage with progressive political leaders.
Leveraging our 35 years of working with women in more than 50 countries, MADRE will advance a feminist foreign policy agenda developed in partnership with grassroots women worldwide. We'll create the space for progressive policymakers to hear directly from women whose communities are impacted by US policies and who offer solutions to some of the most urgent crises of our time. We know that when we listen to women and girls at the grassroots, we can create policies that are better for everyone.
- offering a global gender justice perspective on the Green New Deal;
- advancing the voices of women peacebuilders on the frontlines of war to bring lasting peace and stability;
- and confronting the crisis of gender violence against migrant women.
“We are launching this initiative because this is a vital moment for us to act. US foreign policy is in need of a new guiding ethic. To achieve a truly progressive, transformative foreign policy – one that upholds human rights and protects the planet – we need women’s leadership. Grassroots women worldwide have deep knowledge about the impacts of US policies on their communities and solutions to some of the defining crises of our time, from peacebuilding to climate justice and beyond. This initiative opens new channels of engagement between these local leaders and US policymakers.
“By embracing the potentials of feminist foreign policy, progressive policymakers gain even more than avenues to protect women’s rights worldwide, as vital as that is. They also gain experts with valuable perspectives in the work to counter the global rise of right-wing authoritarianism: grassroots women working to confront militarism, environmental destruction, economic exploitation, political repression and more.”
- Yifat Susskind, MADRE Executive Director
- We’ll advance a foreign policy agenda deeply rooted in feminist values
- We’ll build ties between progressive foreign and domestic policy
- We’ll generate increased attention in the media and public discourse on gender justice and progressive foreign policy
- We’ll strengthen progressive movements and policy protections for women and families worldwide