MADRE is responding to the current crisis of women human rights defenders, activists and leaders at risk in Afghanistan. Through our Afghan Women’s Survival Fund, MADRE is providing resources for legal aid, security assistance, emergency transport, and safe passage, securing visas and asylum, sustaining in-country work, and programming to enable the continuity and strength of an Afghan women's movement inside the country and in exile.
MADRE is seeking a consultant to help coordinate our programmatic response in Afghanistan with local women and girl partners over a six-month contract, with the possibility to renew. The Consultant will engage with Afghan feminist organizations both inside and outside of country to assess and plan actions, prepare impact reports, analyze data coming within the context of a fast-evolving situation in close coordination with MADRE’s Director of Grantmaking.
Term: 3 to 6 months, with possibility of extension.
Scope of work under this consultancy are to:
- Coordinate actions with Afghan women and girl groups both in country or in exile;
- Engage partners in regular conversations to assess needs of a fast-evolving context;
- Recommend rapid response grants from our fund to support local groups/activists at risk;
- Prepare internal memos, impact reports, and visual presentations upon request;
- Document results, stories and analyze sensitive information received from partners;
- Attend coordination meetings, conduct interviews with partners, and facilitate programmatic opportunities;
- Undertake research as needed;
- Perform other tasks as mutually agreed upon.
Consultant Requirements & Background
- Demonstrated commitment to women’s human rights and MADRE’s mission.
- Past experience working on women’s rights issues in Afghanistan with local groups.
- Extensive knowledge on key issues related to defenders, sexual and gender-based violence, land, and family rights, and laws.
- Proven track record in management of projects, including monitoring and evaluation.
- Strong critical analysis skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt in challenging circumstances and flexibility.
- Excellent communication and written skills.
- Fluency in English and Dari, Farsi, or Pashto required.
To submit your proposal, please include an overview of your background and experience, hourly rate or fixed rate estimate, and 2-3 references to Afghanistanconsultant@madre.org. Include “Afghanistan Consultant" in the subject line. Proposals will be accepted on a rolling basis until the engagement is filled.
People of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, people with disabilities, and people of diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged to respond.