MADRE is an international women's grant-making organization that partners with community-based women's groups worldwide facing war and disaster. MADRE works towards a world in which all people enjoy the fullest range of individual and collective human rights; resources are shared equitably and sustainably; women participate effectively in all aspects of society; and people have a meaningful say in decisions that affect their lives.
MADRE is seeking a dynamic, creative international human rights advocate, with advanced policy and legal analytical capacity as well as leadership experience in campaigns for social justice that have grassroots impacts. The Afghanistan Advisor Consultant will help to develop and implement creative strategies for achieving policy recommendations across a spectrum of MADRE’s program areas, internationally, regionally, and in the specific countries in which MADRE works. This consultant role will fall under the direction of MADRE’s Senior Director of Advocacy and Policy. The scope of work managed by the Afghanistan Advisor Consultant will help lead regional teams toward shared directions and priorities, while contributing to overall priorities and strategies.
Term: __1 year_ with possibility of renewal
Scope of Work:
In partnership with MADRE’s Advocacy and Policy Team, develop and implement appropriate international justice strategies that further MADRE’s grassroots women partners’ social justice agendas in Afghanistan. The Consultant will do this by engaging in the following activities:
- Collaborate with organizational networks to further human rights aims of MADRE’s partners;
- Investigate and document alleged gender-based violations and abuses of international human rights and criminal law committed by armed groups and private actors;
- Draft reports, submissions, and other legal advocacy documents for national, regional, and international human rights mechanisms;
- Draft press releases and other relevant communications materials to advance MADRE’s and its partners’ advocacy aims;
- Advocate before national, regional, and international human rights bodies and transitional justice mechanisms for policy aims, providing legal research, writing, reporting, and guidance;
- Provide timely advocacy responses to urgent partner human right situations;
- Oversee the drafting and submission of treaty body reports and other UN submissions;
- Provide capacity-building to MADRE partners and staff;
- Represent MADRE to external partners and colleagues including, peer organizations, policymakers, donors, media, and other stakeholders;
- Conduct documentation workshops with partner organizations and allies;
- Work with staff and consultants to create a system for receiving and maintaining documentation of abuses;
- Represent and speak on behalf of MADRE at panel events, presentations, and key stakeholder meetings;
Consultant Background & Qualifications:
- Demonstrated commitment to women’s human rights and MADRE’s mission;
- Juris Doctorate (or masters equivalent) in law or master’s degree in international policy or related field;
- Deep understanding and work experience on issues relating to Afghanistan;
- Demonstrated professional competence and expert knowledge of UN human rights mechanisms and/or regional human rights mechanisms, international accountability mechanisms, and other pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Proven ability to conduct complex human rights investigations, including expertise in monitoring and documenting sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV) and understanding of gender-specific protection concerns;
- Excellent communication and written skills;
- Excellent ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Good analytical capacity; solid knowledge of witness and victim protection and data protection;
- Minimum of 6-10 years of experience in the area of human rights, gender justice, international justice or criminal processes, and experience in investigation of human rights violations;
- Experience in a conflict- or disaster-affected setting is preferred;
- Fluency in English required and either Pashto or Dari a plus.
To submit your proposal, please include an overview of your background and experience, daily rate or fixed rate estimate, and 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Afghanistan Consultant Position” in the subject line. Proposals will be accepted on a rolling basis until the engagement is filled.
MADRE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. People of color, people with disabilities, LGBTIQ people, and women are all especially encouraged to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion.