MADRE is an international women’s human rights organization that works towards a world in which all people enjoy the fullest range of individual and collective human rights; in which resources are shared equitably and sustainably; in which women participate effectively in all aspects of society; and in which people have a meaningful say in decisions that affect their lives.
MADRE seeks a highly motivated, dynamic and organized candidate to fill the position of Advocacy Projects Manager. Reporting to MADRE’s Director of Human Rights Advocacy, the Advocacy Projects Manager will manage MADRE’s growing portfolio of government and large institutional grants. While working primarily with the Human Rights Advocacy team, the Advocacy Projects Manager will at times work across teams, and will manage the various stages of large advocacy grant lifecycles in order to implement advocacy projects. The Advocacy Projects Manager will also be responsible for the supervision of a MADRE Program Coordinator. The Advocacy Projects Manager will work to establish and diffuse projects management best practices and will be responsible for identifying and facilitating the project management needs of MADRE staff and grassroots partners, as well as meeting the external needs and requirements of MADRE’s government and large institutional funders.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- At the request of senior leadership, review large government and institutional funding RFPs to understand funder programmatic and financial requirements and advise on pros and cons of applying for grants.
- Conduct assessments with partners to gauge interest and capacity for receiving large government and institutional funding, including assessments of financial capacity to ensure adequate mechanisms for financial accountability are in place.
- Develop strategies, timelines and responsibilities for completing high quality large grant proposals.
- Support the development and submission of proposals for large government and institutional grants including the preparation of complex and detailed budgets in compliance with funder requirements, preparation of other submission documents, securing necessary approvals, and submitting completed proposals.
- Plan and lead project kick-off meetings with MADRE staff and partners to ensure a shared understanding of project goals, objectives, and activities, intended deliverables, timeline, reporting requirements, timekeeping requirements, etc.
- Manage the preparation, review and execution of grant contract and agreement packages with MADRE partners and grantees.
- Provide structure and develop tools and templates, including financial and reporting templates, to guide Program Coordinators and partners, enhance project work efficiency, and streamline critical project and grants management processes and activities.
- Provide ongoing technical assistance to MADRE’s staff and partners to build their capacity for financial and programmatic management.
- Work with MADRE’s grantmaking team to ensure timely financial disbursements to partners.
- Liaise with MADRE’s Learning and Evaluation team to ensure timely programmatic monitoring and evaluation and to share results of these activities.
- Regularly reconcile financial documentation and expenditures of MADRE and partners in accordance with approved budgets, identify and follow up on inconsistencies, as needed.
- Support MADRE’s Human Rights Advocacy team with efficient, effective and proactive grant contract/award compliance including:
- Maintaining strong facility with approved budgets and funder budget requirements and advising on allowable spending, movement of funds and budget modifications;
- Guiding procurements in accordance with MADRE and funder procurement procedures;
- Understanding and administering MADRE’s per diem, cash advance, and other financial approvals protocols.
- Conduct quarterly budget to actual meetings with the Human Rights Advocacy team to ensure project activities and spending are happening according to approved budgets and implementation plans.
- Communicate and coordinate with grant officials regarding project deliverables, reporting, and requests for information, site visits with MADRE and partners, and other requirements.
- Prepare, review and submit periodic narrative and financial reports, and other grant documents as required by funders.
- Manage grant activities and deliverables, including requirements outlined within the MADRE’s award/grant agreement, sub-award agreements, subcontracting plans, hiring requirements, etc.
- Utilize tools and resources such as Salesforce and electronic impact evaluation tools to support, improve and enhance large grant tracking, internal reporting systems, learning and evaluation, and maintenance of records.
- Manage accounts of funder proposal and reporting websites, including SAMS Domestic, grants.gov, and grantsolutions.gov, among others.
- Assist with the hiring and management of Program Coordinators and external consultants.
Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrated commitment to women’s and LGBTIQ human rights and MADRE’s mission.
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in human rights, project or grants management or a related social science field and a minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience working on government grants.
- Experience using Excel to prepare sophisticated program budgets, reconciliations, and reports.
- Substantive knowledge of and experience with grants and project management.
- Facility providing support, technical assistance, and guidance to colleagues and implementing partners.
- Comfort with managing up.
- Ability to handle new challenges and to work independently.
- Strong organizational and time management skills; must be very detail oriented.
- Ability to multi-task, work under tight timeframes and problem-solve.
- Excellent writing and editing skills and oral and written communication skills.
- Willingness to travel internationally.
- Experience with Salesforce or other impact evaluation software and comfort using new technology a plus.
- Fluency in French, Spanish or Arabic in addition to English a plus.
- Salary range starts at $64,000 commensurate with skills and experience.
Flexible start date. To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and 2-3 references to HRAprojectsmanager@madre.org. Include “Advocacy Projects Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
MADRE is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices based on a person's race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, age, ability and other status, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.