MADRE is an international feminist human rights organization that partners with grassroots women’s organizations in situations of disaster or conflict. MADRE works towards a world in which all people enjoy the fullest range of individual and collective human rights; in which resources are shared equitably and sustainably; in which women participate effectively in all aspects of society; and in which people have a meaningful say in decisions that affect their lives.
MADRE seeks an Advocacy Consultant to assist the Human Rights Advocacy team in implementing its strategy to address gender-based human rights violations at domestic, regional and international levels. The Consultant will execute coordination of MADRE’s advocacy program with supervision by the Human Rights Advocacy Director.
This consultancy will be remote with expectations of EST work hours.
Responsibilities may include:
- Assist with research and drafting of advocacy materials, such as shadow reports to UN human rights bodies, advocacy letters, or reports to the UN Security Council.
- Coordinate planning of human rights advocacy trainings and other convenings in New York and globally, including travel and meeting logistics and preparation of training materials;
- Draft correspondences to partner organizations, funders, government officials and UN representatives and help maintain up-to-date advocacy contacts list;
- Draft campaign updates and monitor and report to team on its advocacy impacts;
- Submit receipts, track expenditures, and help manage project budgets;
- Create and monitor timelines for team project implementation
- Compile information for periodic programmatic reports to funders and assist with grant report drafting;
- Other related duties as necessary.
- Knowledge of and/or experience working in international or regional human rights contexts;
- Ability to communicate fluently in written and oral English;
- Ability to also communicate fluently in Spanish;
- Demonstrated commitment to women’s human rights and MADRE’s mission;
- Knowledge of and/ or experience with international human rights advocacy;
- Excellent research and writing capabilities;
- Willing and able to learn from feedback and to ask questions;
- Attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines;
- Eagerness to collaborate respectfully in a diverse team;
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point;
- Experience working with budgets;
- JD, Masters, or equivalent degree in relevant field
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Include “Advocacy Consultant
” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the consultancy is filled.
We are committed to enhancing our diverse community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, people of color, and LGBTIQ people to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.