Your Support in Action
Help MADRE Spread the Word: Confront the Famine in Somalia
Posted on: Monday, August 1, 2011
“People from Somalia are flocking into Kenya’s refugee camps. Many lives are lost on the way from Somalia, and on top of that, women and girls are sexually abused as they trek in search of a better life. The situation is so bad that children, nursing mothers and pregnant women are dying in great numbers.”
That’s what we’ve heard from our partners on the ground in northeastern Kenya, who are responding directly to East Africa’s worst drought in 60 years. With famine declared in Somalia, thousands of families are in need of emergency aid. Mothers flee the famine in Somalia and make the long journey to overcrowded camps in Kenya, hoping to make it in time to save their malnourished children.
But aid agencies in refugee camps are struggling to meet the massive need. Local Kenyan communities, themselves decimated by drought, are rallying to offer support to the Somali women and families who are being turned away from overcrowded refugee camps.
MADRE is working with Womankind Kenya, a grassroots women’s organization of Somali-Kenyan pastoralists, to bring life-saving aid to these women and their families. Help us to spread the word and get them the resources they need.
How You Can help:
- Donate: Make a donation and give Womankind Kenya the support they need to save lives, by providing water, nutrient-rich food, medical services and shelter.
- Spread the Word by sending out the messages below:
- On Facebook: “The famine in East Africa threatens the lives of thousands, especially malnourished children. For the mothers desperate to save their children’s lives, MADRE’s partners in Kenya are there. You can help give them the support they need to save lives—donate now. (Post this message in your Facebook status to help spread the word.) https://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5095/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=7262
- On Twitter: “MADRE’s partners need your help to save lives from E. African famine. Donate now! RT to spread the word. http://ht.ly/5OJLH”
- By email:
I just heard from MADRE, an international women’s human rights organization partnering with a grassroots organization in Kenya to save lives from the famine in East Africa. They are delivering vital aid like water and nutrient-rich food to survivors of the famine in Somalia. If you can, please donate today, and forward MADRE’s appeal below to all your friends.
Imagine having to sacrifice the life of one of your children to save another.
That is what Amina had to do just this week. She's one of many mothers fleeing famine-stricken Somalia who have faced this horror. Families like Amina's arrive in the refugee camps of Kenya malnourished and sick. And many are deeply traumatized by the grief of having buried their children along the way.
Even once they reach the camps in Kenya, their other emaciated children are still at risk of dying of dehydration and malnutrition.
Your donation today can save these children's lives.
This area is facing the worst drought in 60 years. Just days ago, the UN declared this the "world's worst humanitarian crisis."
MADRE's partners in Kenya are working hard to respond. You can give them the resources to save the lives of malnourished families fleeing the famine in Somalia.
Children suffering from malnutrition in the refugee camps are too hungry to laugh, speak or even cry.
You can take action to help our partners reach starving mothers and children now. For example, $100 can feed a family of six for two weeks. With your help, our partners will deliver aid like:
- therapeutic, calorie-dense food
- emergency water supplies
- health kits with medicines to fight diarrhea and infections
- oral rehydration salts
- training to help mothers recognize the signs of malnutrition
The more generous you can be, the more lives we can save.
Thank you for your support,
P.S. I know that you've been moved by the terrible images of children suffering. Please take this opportunity to give as generously as you can.
P.P.S. I am traveling to Kenya to meet with our partners and assess the situation. I can personally assure you that your support will be put to the most effective use for saving lives. When I return, I will report back to you about what I saw, how we're helping with your generous donations, and what else we need to do to help save lives. Thank you for your ongoing kindness and compassion.