Job Opening: Media Coordinator
Posted on: Tuesday, May 1, 2012
MADRE is seeking a committed women’s rights activist to coordinate our media program, which works to improve coverage of international women’s human rights issues in mainstream and alternative media. The media program also promotes the perspectives and analysis of the women with whom MADRE works.
We are looking for someone who is a strong writer, has experience conducting media outreach, is extremely detail oriented, and can manage multiple responsibilities with competing deadlines.
- Design media campaigns in collaboration with Communications, Fundraising and Program staff. Conduct background research, craft messaging and coordinate implementation of campaigns.
- Cultivate new and maintain existing relationships with members of the media. Coordinate communications with journalists and provide commentary.
- Draft original materials, including press releases, opinion pieces, letters to the editor and MADRE statements.
- Coordinate distribution of MADRE materials, including external publication and posting of materials on MADRE website, blog and social networks.
- Review news and track media coverage of MADRE campaigns. Maintain and update the media hits database.
- Manage Press Room and media program-related sections on MADRE website.
- Research, design and implement advertising for MADRE campaigns.
- Draft content, manage submissions and update the myMADRE blog. Expand online profile of myMADRE blog.
- Manage MADRE’s social networks, including Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Edit and upload video to MADRE YouTube account; publish videos on MADRE website. Also coordinate with external video editors for more advanced projects.
- Design and produce promotional materials (flyers, posters, etc.) Also coordinate with external graphic designers for more advanced projects.
- Manage and update the Storybank.
- Manage MADRE’s Women’s Rights Exchange (http://www.madre.org/index/press--publications-12/womens-rights-exchange-15.html). Liaise between press and international women’s human rights activists.
- Commitment to women’s rights and social justice. Knowledge of the international human rights framework.
- Knowledge of and commitment to MADRE’s vision and programs. Knowledge of the regions in which MADRE works.
- Strong research, writing, proofreading and editing skills.
- Knowledge of various progressive and mainstream radio, print and online media outlets and journalists.
- Familiarity with social media and blogging platforms, including WordPress, Facebook and Twitter
- Excellent oral communication skills and ability to represent MADRE effectively.
- Ability to work under pressure with competing priorities and deadlines.
- Experience prepping graphics and video for web.
- Familiarity with Photoshop and Final Cut Pro a plus.
- Familiarity with E-Tapestry, DemocracyInAction or a similar online database a plus.
- Knowledge of foreign language (Spanish, Haitian Creole, French and/or Arabic) helpful but not required.