Employment Opportunity with MADRE
Posted on: Thursday, May 12, 2011
Position: Haiti Coordinator
Organization: MADRE, Inc.
Location: New York, New York
Reporting Relationship: Haiti Coordinator reports directly to the Program Director
Sector: Non Profit
Type: Full Time
Start Date: Immediate
To Apply: Send resumes and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
MADRE, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Organizational BackgroundMADRE is an international women’s human rights organization that works in partnership with community-based organizations worldwide that also addresses women’s rights.
MADRE works in collaboration with sister organizations in Haiti in the areas of women’s health and combating violence against women. MADRE provides resources, training and support to enable our partners in Haiti to meet concrete needs in their communities while working to shift the balance of power to develop long-term solutions to the crisis they face.
Following MADRE’s partnership model, the Haiti Coordinator will maintain a strong relationship with the sister organizations, with an understanding of MADRE’s program direction, goals and expectations.
Key ResponsibilitiesMADRE is seeking a coordinator committed with women’s human rights to facilitate our programs and partnerships with sister organizations in Haiti.
Under the guidance of the Program Director, the Haiti Coordinator will provide support, technical assistance and will work on domestic and international legal advocacy and policy development on ending gender-based violence in Haiti.
Specifically, the Haiti Coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Maintain strong communication with Haitian partners, provide oral/written translation as needed.
- Complete and regularly update program reports and profile information for Haiti programs.
- Procure goods and materials for distribution in the displacement camps and work with Haitian partners on the design and distribution of safety-enhancing goods and violence prevention public education and outreach.
- Support for human rights advocacy trainings in partnership with sister organizations.
- Effectively communicate MADRE’s mission, vision, core values and strategic approaches to key stakeholders and allies.
- Facilitate program information such as updates, highlights, achievements as well as campaign information relating to MADRE’s Haiti programs for newsletters and website updates.
- Help Haitian partners with translation of materials, documents, and correspondence, which allow them to reach a broader network of women’s organizations and international resources.
Experience and QualificationsThe candidate will have a record on working on women’s human rights, international human rights, knowledge of the United Nations system and issues such as Gender-Based Violence, post-disaster situations, and humanitarian aid responses.
Specific qualifications include:
- Passionate human right activist particularly dealing with issues of economic justice, peace building and violence against women.
- A willingness to be flexible and versatile in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency at its core.
- Open mind for creativity and innovation in order to develop unique ways to improve operations and seek opportunities.
- Ability to travel both domestically (United States) and internationally.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently but follow an established communication plan with peers and supervisors.
- Demonstrated ability to excel in a multi-cultural team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to support building networks and partnerships.
- Excellent communication / organizational skills, attention to details.
- Strong analytical, writing and strategic thinking skills.
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook & the Internet, administration and financial management.
Required Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 3 years of professional work experience in planning, coordinating, organizing and implementing programs, preferably in international organizations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Social Sciences or related field.
- Experience on program coordination is a must.
- Knowledge about women’s health/violence against women issues.
- Familiarity with the United Nations system.
- Experience in gender and human rights work, initiative and sound judgment, demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with persons of different nationalities and cultural background; ability to work under conditions of extreme pressure and difficult living conditions.
- Strong analytical, writing and communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of internet communications and command of MS Office applications.
- Fluency in English, Haitian Creole (written and oral) required; French proficiency is an asset.