Take Action: Protect Indigenous Rights in Australia
Posted on: Tuesday, September 7, 2010
The following is an action alert from our friends at Intercontinental Cry
The Western Australian Government has announced that it will bypass ongoing consultations with local Indigenous landowners in Western Australia in order to compulsorily acquire a portion of their land for a new $30 billion gas processing plant.
"After pressuring local Indigenous communities with compulsory acquisition during development talks, last week WA Premier Colin Barnett unilaterally declared that negotiations had reached a stalemate and began the process to compulsorily acquire the land," explains GetUp!, a grass-roots community advocacy organization based in Australia.
"The Traditional Owners are now uniformly opposing the compulsory acquisition, with former Australian of the Year and Indigenous Academic, Mick Dodson, calling the move an act of colonialism and theft of Aboriginal lands."
Kimberley Land Council Chief Wayne Bergmann, who was leading the consultation on behalf of the landowners, said the Premier's announcement broke the integrity of their efforts. "This is outrageous. This only provides certainty for a rich mining company to make billions of dollars for their shareholders," he said.
According to GetUp! the Oil and gas giant Woodside (along with joint venture partners Shell, Chevron, BHP-Billiton and BP) wants the land at James Price Point to process the huge gas deposits at Browse Basin.
"For a number of years parts of the Kimberley region in northern WA have been earmarked for a large natural gas project. Negotiations between the WA Government, the recognised Traditional Owners and energy giant Woodside began in 2007. In April last year, an in-principle deal was signed between the government, the Kimberley Land Council and the developer, Woodside. However no formal agreement has been reached between the parties on development of the land," says GetUp.
"Importantly, there have been divergent views among the Traditional Owners over whether to support the project or not. Some maintain that to preserve the spiritual and cultural significance of the area, the land should remain free of outside development; others maintain that the project should go forward because it would bring economic benefits to their communities."
However, with Premier Barnett's announcement to take the land, those divergent views have vanished. Indigenous leaders, non-governmental organizations and a few celebrity environmentalists are now talking about mobilizing for a battle "as big as Noonkanbah".
"The Noonkanbah dispute grew from a decision by then premier Charles Court in the 1970s to allow drilling for oil on sacred sites on a Kimberley station. It culminated in violent clashes between hundreds of police and protesters," explains The Australian.
Fortunately, compulsory acquisition, which is an exercise of eminent domain, isn't as simple as raiding the indigenous territory and then setting up a new fence . Rather, it's a complicated legal process that could take anywhere up to 18 months.
"Furthermore, the move could face a number of political and legal challenges, says GetUp. "That means we've got time to make a difference... [to make] sure that Indigenous rights are respected and restored."
As a starting point, GetUp has organized an online petition that calls on the Premier to abandon his shameful move and sit back down at the table. Impressively, the petition has already received more than 27,000 signatures.
Sign the petition at: http://www.getup.org.au/campaign/Homelands&id=1386
Archives"Press Room" Home August 2014 July 2014 June 2014 May 2014 April 2014 March 2014 February 2014 January 2014 December 2013 November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 August 2013 July 2013 June 2013 May 2013 April 2013 March 2013 February 2013 January 2013 December 2012 November 2012 October 2012 September 2012 August 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 April 2012 March 2012 February 2012 January 2012 December 2011 November 2011 October 2011 September 2011 August 2011 July 2011 June 2011 May 2011 April 2011 March 2011 February 2011 January 2011 December 2010 November 2010 October 2010 September 2010 August 2010 July 2010 June 2010 May 2010 April 2010 March 2010 February 2010 January 2010 December 2009 November 2009 October 2009 September 2009 August 2009 July 2009 June 2009 May 2009 April 2009 March 2009 February 2009 January 2009 December 2008 November 2008 October 2008 September 2008 August 2008 July 2008 June 2008 May 2008 April 2008 March 2008 February 2008 January 2008 December 2007 November 2007 October 2007 September 2007 August 2007 June 2007 May 2007 April 2007 March 2007 February 2007 January 2007 December 2006 November 2006 October 2006 September 2006 July 2006 June 2006 April 2006 March 2006 January 2006 December 2005 November 2005 September 2005 August 2005 July 2005 April 2005 March 2005 November 2004 October 2004 April 2004 March 2004 January 2004 December 2003 October 2003 September 2003 June 2003 April 2003 January 2003 September 2002 June 2002 January 2002 November 2001 October 2001 September 2001 August 2001 January 2001
MADRE & Our Partners Make News
In Iraq, women 'are the battlefield' (Women Under Siege , August 12, 2014)
Haitian woman faces death threats for speaking out about violence against women (WBEZ Worldview, July 16, 2014)
Media Spotlight Turns Away from Iraq, as Concerns Mount Over Human Rights and Political Stalemate (Uprising Radio, July 11, 2014)
Iraq: The women left behind (Aljazeera, July 3, 2014)
Under Isis, Iraqi women again face an old nightmare: violence and repression (The Guardian, July 3, 2014)