Job Opening: Media Coordinator
Posted on: Tuesday, May 1, 2012
MADRE is seeking a committed women’s rights activist to coordinate our media program, which works to improve coverage of international women’s human rights issues in mainstream and alternative media. The media program also promotes the perspectives and analysis of the women with whom MADRE works.
We are looking for someone who is a strong writer, has experience conducting media outreach, is extremely detail oriented, and can manage multiple responsibilities with competing deadlines.
- Design media campaigns in collaboration with Communications, Fundraising and Program staff. Conduct background research, craft messaging and coordinate implementation of campaigns.
- Cultivate new and maintain existing relationships with members of the media. Coordinate communications with journalists and provide commentary.
- Draft original materials, including press releases, opinion pieces, letters to the editor and MADRE statements.
- Coordinate distribution of MADRE materials, including external publication and posting of materials on MADRE website, blog and social networks.
- Review news and track media coverage of MADRE campaigns. Maintain and update the media hits database.
- Manage Press Room and media program-related sections on MADRE website.
- Research, design and implement advertising for MADRE campaigns.
- Draft content, manage submissions and update the myMADRE blog. Expand online profile of myMADRE blog.
- Manage MADRE’s social networks, including Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- Edit and upload video to MADRE YouTube account; publish videos on MADRE website. Also coordinate with external video editors for more advanced projects.
- Design and produce promotional materials (flyers, posters, etc.) Also coordinate with external graphic designers for more advanced projects.
- Manage and update the Storybank.
- Manage MADRE’s Women’s Rights Exchange (http://www.madre.org/index/press--publications-12/womens-rights-exchange-15.html). Liaise between press and international women’s human rights activists.
- Commitment to women’s rights and social justice. Knowledge of the international human rights framework.
- Knowledge of and commitment to MADRE’s vision and programs. Knowledge of the regions in which MADRE works.
- Strong research, writing, proofreading and editing skills.
- Knowledge of various progressive and mainstream radio, print and online media outlets and journalists.
- Familiarity with social media and blogging platforms, including WordPress, Facebook and Twitter
- Excellent oral communication skills and ability to represent MADRE effectively.
- Ability to work under pressure with competing priorities and deadlines.
- Experience prepping graphics and video for web.
- Familiarity with Photoshop and Final Cut Pro a plus.
- Familiarity with E-Tapestry, DemocracyInAction or a similar online database a plus.
- Knowledge of foreign language (Spanish, Haitian Creole, French and/or Arabic) helpful but not required.
Archives"Press Room" Home April 2014 March 2014 February 2014 January 2014 December 2013 November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 August 2013 July 2013 June 2013 May 2013 April 2013 March 2013 February 2013 January 2013 December 2012 November 2012 October 2012 September 2012 August 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 April 2012 March 2012 February 2012 January 2012 December 2011 November 2011 October 2011 September 2011 August 2011 July 2011 June 2011 May 2011 April 2011 March 2011 February 2011 January 2011 December 2010 November 2010 October 2010 September 2010 August 2010 July 2010 June 2010 May 2010 April 2010 March 2010 February 2010 January 2010 December 2009 November 2009 October 2009 September 2009 August 2009 July 2009 June 2009 May 2009 April 2009 March 2009 February 2009 January 2009 December 2008 November 2008 October 2008 September 2008 August 2008 July 2008 June 2008 May 2008 April 2008 March 2008 February 2008 January 2008 December 2007 November 2007 October 2007 September 2007 August 2007 June 2007 May 2007 April 2007 March 2007 February 2007 January 2007 December 2006 November 2006 October 2006 September 2006 July 2006 June 2006 April 2006 March 2006 January 2006 December 2005 November 2005 September 2005 August 2005 July 2005 April 2005 March 2005 November 2004 October 2004 April 2004 March 2004 January 2004 December 2003 October 2003 September 2003 June 2003 April 2003 January 2003 September 2002 June 2002 January 2002 November 2001 October 2001 September 2001 August 2001 January 2001
Kat Noel, Website & Media Coordinator
PHONE: +1 212 627 0444
MADRE & Our Partners Make News
The Right to Heal: 11 Years After Iraq Invasion, U.S. Urged on Reparations for War's Enduring Wounds (Democracy Now!, March 26, 2014)
Protests Call Iraq's New Family Law 'Legalization of Pedophilia' (Rudaw, March 10, 2014)
Haiti: the neoliberal model imposed on the country is failing its citizens (The Guardian, February 5, 2014)
Human rights group slams Iraq over treatment of women in prison (Miami Herald, February 2, 2014)
New Ways to Evaluate Impact (Stanford Social Innovation Review, January 24, 2014)