Employment Opportunity with MADRE
Posted on: Thursday, May 12, 2011
Position: Haiti Coordinator
Organization: MADRE, Inc.
Location: New York, New York
Reporting Relationship: Haiti Coordinator reports directly to the Program Director
Sector: Non Profit
Type: Full Time
Start Date: Immediate
To Apply: Send resumes and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
MADRE, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Organizational BackgroundMADRE is an international women’s human rights organization that works in partnership with community-based organizations worldwide that also addresses women’s rights.
MADRE works in collaboration with sister organizations in Haiti in the areas of women’s health and combating violence against women. MADRE provides resources, training and support to enable our partners in Haiti to meet concrete needs in their communities while working to shift the balance of power to develop long-term solutions to the crisis they face.
Following MADRE’s partnership model, the Haiti Coordinator will maintain a strong relationship with the sister organizations, with an understanding of MADRE’s program direction, goals and expectations.
Key ResponsibilitiesMADRE is seeking a coordinator committed with women’s human rights to facilitate our programs and partnerships with sister organizations in Haiti.
Under the guidance of the Program Director, the Haiti Coordinator will provide support, technical assistance and will work on domestic and international legal advocacy and policy development on ending gender-based violence in Haiti.
Specifically, the Haiti Coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Maintain strong communication with Haitian partners, provide oral/written translation as needed.
- Complete and regularly update program reports and profile information for Haiti programs.
- Procure goods and materials for distribution in the displacement camps and work with Haitian partners on the design and distribution of safety-enhancing goods and violence prevention public education and outreach.
- Support for human rights advocacy trainings in partnership with sister organizations.
- Effectively communicate MADRE’s mission, vision, core values and strategic approaches to key stakeholders and allies.
- Facilitate program information such as updates, highlights, achievements as well as campaign information relating to MADRE’s Haiti programs for newsletters and website updates.
- Help Haitian partners with translation of materials, documents, and correspondence, which allow them to reach a broader network of women’s organizations and international resources.
Experience and QualificationsThe candidate will have a record on working on women’s human rights, international human rights, knowledge of the United Nations system and issues such as Gender-Based Violence, post-disaster situations, and humanitarian aid responses.
Specific qualifications include:
- Passionate human right activist particularly dealing with issues of economic justice, peace building and violence against women.
- A willingness to be flexible and versatile in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency at its core.
- Open mind for creativity and innovation in order to develop unique ways to improve operations and seek opportunities.
- Ability to travel both domestically (United States) and internationally.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently but follow an established communication plan with peers and supervisors.
- Demonstrated ability to excel in a multi-cultural team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to support building networks and partnerships.
- Excellent communication / organizational skills, attention to details.
- Strong analytical, writing and strategic thinking skills.
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook & the Internet, administration and financial management.
Required Skills and Experience
- A minimum of 3 years of professional work experience in planning, coordinating, organizing and implementing programs, preferably in international organizations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Social Sciences or related field.
- Experience on program coordination is a must.
- Knowledge about women’s health/violence against women issues.
- Familiarity with the United Nations system.
- Experience in gender and human rights work, initiative and sound judgment, demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with persons of different nationalities and cultural background; ability to work under conditions of extreme pressure and difficult living conditions.
- Strong analytical, writing and communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of internet communications and command of MS Office applications.
- Fluency in English, Haitian Creole (written and oral) required; French proficiency is an asset.
CompensationCompensation and Benefits: commensurate with experience.
Archives"Press Room" Home December 2013 November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 August 2013 July 2013 June 2013 May 2013 April 2013 March 2013 February 2013 January 2013 December 2012 November 2012 October 2012 September 2012 August 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 April 2012 March 2012 February 2012 January 2012 December 2011 November 2011 October 2011 September 2011 August 2011 July 2011 June 2011 May 2011 April 2011 March 2011 February 2011 January 2011 December 2010 November 2010 October 2010 September 2010 August 2010 July 2010 June 2010 May 2010 April 2010 March 2010 February 2010 January 2010 December 2009 November 2009 October 2009 September 2009 August 2009 July 2009 June 2009 May 2009 April 2009 March 2009 February 2009 January 2009 December 2008 November 2008 October 2008 September 2008 August 2008 July 2008 June 2008 May 2008 April 2008 March 2008 February 2008 January 2008 December 2007 November 2007 October 2007 September 2007 August 2007 June 2007 May 2007 April 2007 March 2007 February 2007 January 2007 December 2006 November 2006 October 2006 September 2006 July 2006 June 2006 April 2006 March 2006 January 2006 December 2005 November 2005 September 2005 August 2005 July 2005 April 2005 March 2005 November 2004 October 2004 April 2004 March 2004 January 2004 December 2003 October 2003 September 2003 June 2003 April 2003 January 2003 September 2002 June 2002 January 2002 November 2001 October 2001 September 2001 August 2001 January 2001
Kaitlyn Soligan, Media Coordinator
PHONE: +1 212 627 0444
MADRE Makes News
Los derechos de las mujeres empiezan en nuestra union (El Diario, July 30, 2013)
Women Organising To Survive: Syria's Civil War And Beyond (AWID Friday File, July 5, 2013)
Des sages-femmes israéliennes et palestiniennes unies pour sauver des vies (Opinion Internationale, June 28, 2013)
Preparándonos para otro huracán (El Diario, June 24, 2013)
Change, and I mean it (Huffington Post, June 24, 2013)