Women in Afghanistan are Under Attack!
In just the last three months:
- July 3: Lieutenant Islam Bibi, a top female police officer, was shot dead by unknown assailants on her way to work.
- August 7: Rooh Gul Hirzad, a lawmaker and deputy, was injured when her car came under attack by armed assailants. Her 8-year-old daughter was killed.
- August 14: Fariba Ahmadi Kakar, a female member of parliament, was kidnapped with her children at gunpoint by the Taliban.
- September 4: Sushmita Banerjee, an Indian author married to an Afghan man, was shot dead outside her home by the Taliban.
- September 15: Lieutenant Negar, a top female police officer, was killed by two unknown gunmen less than two months after her predecessor, Islam Bibi, was murdered.
Violence against women is on the rise. These attacks on prominent Afghan women are meant to warn other women who dare to stand up for their rights. MADRE’s Afghan Women’s Survival Fund, an underground escape network and shelter system, is the only path to safety for many women threatened with violence in Afghanistan.
But now our work is threatened. Ultra-conservatives are actively trying to close the doors to women’s shelters, threatening one of the only safe havens available. If that happens, women and girls facing violence would have nowhere to turn.
We must act immediately to support the Fund and the women at risk whose lives depend on it.
Learn more about MADRE's work with women in Afghanistan: